We recognise it can sometimes be hard for community groups to raise the funding needed to buy or renovate the asset and run it sustainably for the long-term benefit of the community. The Community Ownership Fund will help support local people to save local community assets at risk. The Fund supports projects which fulfil one or a combination of the following aims. All of these are taken in context of saving an asset with the goal of community use:
- take ownership of a physical community asset at risk, such as land and buildings, which benefit local people
- renovate, repair, or refurbish an asset to make it sustainable for the long term
- set up or buy a community business
- buy associated stock, collections, or intellectual property
- move a community asset to a new, more appropriate location within the same community. This might be because a different location offers better value to continue the asset, or because the venue is in itself an asset of community value
- develop new assets where these relate to saving, preserving, or relocating a past or existing assets.
Organisations can make an Expression of Interest (EOI) at any time. If they are successful, they will be invited to submit a full application, which they do not have to do immediately; however, they must submit their EOI at least three weeks before the closure of the bidding window in which they want to apply to allow time to receive feedback and then to submit their application.
The current round (Round 3 Window 2) closes on 11 October 2023 (11.59am, midday).
Find out more details and apply here.